Dr & Prof. Tom Cherian
About Dr & Prof. Tom Cherian
MBBS, FRCS (General Surgery), FRCS (I-Collegiate); CCST (UK)
- Performed >900 Major General Surgical Procedures
- Hepato Biliary
- Complex Laparoscopic Procedures
- Liver Resections
- Pancreatic Resections
- Multi-Organ Retrievals HBD
- Total Liver Transplants: Adult And Children
- Liver Splits, APOLTx And Other Complex Transplant Procedures
- Adult To Adult LRLTx
- LDLTx For Acute Liver Failure
- Endoscopy – OGD
- Fellow of the RCS and Physicians of Glasgow (2000)
Inter-collegiate exit exam in General Surgery (Sub Specialty: Hepato- Pancreaticobiliary and UGI Surgery)
- Fellow of the RCS and Physicians of Glasgow (General Surgery) (2007)
- MBBS (1990-1995): Division of Medicine, Bangalore University, India. Distinction in Human Anatomy.
- Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training [CCST]: Post-Graduate Medical Education Training Board [UK]
- Neonatal advanced life support provider (NALS) Certificate: St. John’s Medical College Hospital, Bangalore 560034 India.
- Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board Certificate: Certification by examination, General Medical Council, UK.
- Advanced trauma and Life Support (ATLS) provider: The Royal College of Surgeons of England, London, UK.
- Advanced Organ transplantation Course (HESPERIS): European Society for Organ Transplantation.
>>25 years of experience in Liver Surgery- 14 years in UK & rest in India.
- 4 years as Senior House Officer in General Surgery (UK; MS equivalent)
- 6 years in higher specialist training (UK; M.Ch equivalent).
- 4 years as a senior transplant fellow (Kings College, Londoan).
- 5 years as senior consultant. Global Hospital Group.
- 2 years as a Head of Dept. Global Hospital, Hyderabad.
- Last 4 years as National Programme Director. Care Gp. India.
- Over 16 years in HPB & Liver Tx Surgery [13 years in UK] performing over 650 Liver Transplants (>70 children), inclu complex (Split, domino, auxiliary) liver transplants.
- Over250 complex HPB/ liver resections.
- Performed over 210 transplants in India (approx. 145 LDLT).
- Published an international paper on a successful innovation in Paediatric liver Tx from Hyderabad.
Trained many consultants from other transplant units
- Innovative paediatric transplantation technique performed and published in Paed transplantation journal. (First ever use of paed recipient RHV for MHV recon worldwide). Feb 2015.
Academic Teaching Experience
- Supervisor for Doctorate in Medicine (MD) by thesis- TOTAL TEMPORARY HEPATECTOMY; BRIDGE TO URGENT TRANSPLANTATION. Nicola de’Angelis, Universita di Pisa, Italy 2011.
- Clinical tutor and MD Examiner [Chief of examinations: Prof. Franco Mosca] Departmento di ChirurgiaGenerale, Pisa, Italy. Oct 2011
Extensive efforts to Develop Liver Transplantation in INDIA
Performed 1st successful liver transplant in several key hospitals- GB Pant Hospital, New Delhi; Osmania Hosp, Hyderabad; NIMS, Hyderabad.
- Set up & Performed the first 10 liver transplants in Andhra Pradesh & the first successful SPLIT liver transplant in Combined Andhra & Telangana.
- Performed first ever Living Donor LTx in Andhra Pradesh.
- Senior advisor (Telangana State) for Liver Transplantation, Via Principal Sec (Health). Since 2015.
- Developed over 20 ‘LIVER CLINICS’ in the country, in places where there was no such liver or hepato-biliary expertise.
Achievements, Awards & Special Distinctions
- Times of India National Health care Awards ‘Legend in Transplant Surgery’ 2017.
- Honorary Professor (GI Surgery), Nizams Institute of Medical Sciences, Huderabad, via Director NIMS / Health Minister (Telangana). April 2015.
- Senior advisor (Telangana state) for Liver Transplantation, Via Principal secretary (Health). 2014.
- Course Director, LIVER SURGERY IN PRACTICE. India’s first practical liver surgery course, Mumbai. June 2015.
- Founder Memnber & Member of Registry Committee, Intl Liver Laparoscopic Society (ILLS), Paris. 2017.
- ATLS Instructor. American College of Surgeons. Since Jan 2008.
- Peer review panel member. Royal College of Surgeons of England. Since Feb 2009
- KeyNote speaker- World Oncology Congress (Liver cancer). Hyderabad convention centre, Hyderabad.
- British Medical Association[BMA]
- Association of Surgeons in Training [ASiT- ASGBI]
- British Transplantation Society[BTS]
- Carrel Club [UK transplant trainees club]
- Medical Defence Unit of Scotland [MDUS]
- The International Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Association [IHPBA]
- The International Liver Transplantation Society [ILTS]
- 84 Published Papers/Abstracts & over 100 International Presentations
- Sub-investigator for 2 Phase III international multicenter RCTs
- BJS prize session papers (2)at Association of UGI Surgeons (UK). Liverpool. Sept 2008(Classification System for LAGB Erosions) & Sept 2007(HPB paper).
- Supervisor for Doctorate in Medicine (MD) by thesis- Total temporary hepatectomy- Bridge to urgent transplantation. Nicola de’Angelis(Cum laude Pass), Universita di Pisa, Italy 2011.
- Recipient of 8 Travel Grants & Bursaries (Scientific Awards) in the United Kingdom/Europe
- Digestive Disease Week San Francisco 2002. Travel Grant.
- EuropeanAsso of Endoscopic Surg. Venice 2005. Travel Grant.
- Sponsored Workshop- GI Stapled Anastomosis Walsall Aug 2006.
- Selected by the Educational committee of European Society for Organ Transplantation, for the international diploma in Advanced Training in Transplantation [HESPERIS], Switzerland, Nov 2007-8.
- Association of UGI Surgeons (AUGIS), Royal College of Surgeons London. 2008 Travel Fellowship Award.
- British Transplant Society (BTS), 2008 Travel Bursary Award.
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgery Stockholm June 2008. Travel Grant from Shropshire Research Trust
- International Liver Transplantation Society meeting, Paris 2008- Travel grant from Liver Foundation Trust.
Research& Academic Experience Truncated. [Up until Dec 2013 only]
- In Summary: 1 Supervisor for Doctorate in Medicine (MD) by thesis
- 1 IARC sponsored population based cancer registry
- 2 Sub-investigator roles in Phase III international multicenter randomised studies
- >75 Peer-Reviewed Publications
Papers/reviews- Over 30; Reports/Abstracts- Over 50 Book Chapters- 1
- >100 Scientific Presentations
National / Regional-35; International-Over 75
Cumulative Surgical (Operating) Experience – Truncated. [Up until Dec 2013 only]
Major General Surgical Procedures: >1100
- Hepato-Biliary: Complex Laparoscopic Procedures: 71 (14 Liver resections, inclu. Right Hepatectomy) Liver Resections: 314 (87 LRLTx Donors) Pancreatic Resections: 97
- Transplantation: Multi-Organ Retrievals- HBD: >300 NHBD(DCD):83 Small Bowel: 5 Total Liver Transplants- Adult: >500. Child: 63 (4 whole grafts) Liver Splits, APOLT and other complex Transplant Procedures: 68 Adult to adult LDLT: 76 (current mean mortality- approx. 11%)
Book Chapters Accepted
Cherian PT, Sreenivasan P. Transplantation for type-1Diabetes.Whole organ or Islet cells?
Electronic (Web) Publications
PP Mohan, PT Cherian. Adrenaline in digital ring blocks- myth or truth? Best evidence topics 2006. www.bestbets.org
Courses And Meetings Attended – Truncated. [Up until Dec 2013 only]
1996 – 2002
- Neonatal Advanced Life Support (NALS) course. Bangalore India, in Aug 1996.
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) course, Stoke on Trent. Sept 1998.
- Basic Surgical Skills course, Stafford. Oct 1998.
- Trauma management and Intensive care study day, Keele. Nov 1998.
- Ionising radiation protection course, Birmingham. 20th Feb 1999.
- Advanced Trauma and Life Support (ATLS) course. 7thMar 1999, at Stone.
- Interview and Presentation Skills workshop. Stafford, 11th Sept 2000.
- West Midlands Surgeons Society meeting, Stafford. 18th May 2001.
- The SpR Interview. Preparing for success. Birmingham. 19th May 2001.
- Advanced Trauma and Life Support (ATLS) refresher course, Stone.7thMar 1999.
- Higher Surgical Skills workshop. R C S at Edinburgh held on 7th June 2001
- Intensive Basic Endoscopy Week. Stafford DGH from 28th Jan 2002.
- British Society of Gastroenterology Meeting, Birmingham. 18th March 2002
- Basic Surgical Skills Workshop(As trainer), Truro. 9th April 2002.
- Digestive Disease Week 2002,San Francisco, USA. 19th May 2002
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy course. Guildford. Jan 2003.
- Post Grad Gastroenterology course. John Radcliff Hospital, Oxford. Aug 2002.
- Colonoscopy Training course. Torbay DGH, Torquay. 5th Sept 2002.
2003 – 2007
- Colonoscopy master class. St. Mark’s Hospital, London. 21st June 2003.
- Assessment & Appraisal in Training Surgeons Course 4th-5th march 2004. Royal College of Surgeons England, London.
- Hernia Repair –Study day, Birmingham. 26th March 2004.
- Upper GI Master class. RCS Edinburgh, 17th to 19th March 2004.
- Training the trainers course. Freeman Hospital, Newcastle. 28th to 29th April 2004.
- Gastric Symposium. University Hospital of North Staffordshire. 1st March 2005.
- European Association of Endoscopic surgery (13thmeet). Venice. June 3rd 2005.
- Evidence based medicine and critical appraisal. Birmingham. June 14th 2005.
- World Congress of Gastroenterology. Montreal, Canada. 10 Sept 2005.
- 12th vascular Anastomosis Workshop. Russell’s Hall Hospital. 28th April 2006.
- Open GI Stapled Anastomosis Workshop. Walsall Manor Hospital. 2nd June 2006.
- FRCS Part III course. Royal Infirmary, Liverpool.22ndJan 2007.
- ASGBI annual Meeting. Manchester. 22nd April 2007.
- West Midlands Surgical society meeting. Birmingham. 11th May 2007.
- International diploma course for advanced training in transplantation- Module1 – HESPERIS. Switzerland, 17th November 2007.
2008 – 2010
- ATLS instructor Course. Royal College of Surgeons of England, London. 23rd Jan 2008.
- 13th International Congress-International Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Association Mumbai, India. 27th Feb to 2nd March 2008.
- British Transplant Society Annual Meeting, Glasgow. 16th April 2008.
- International diploma course for advanced training in transplantation- Module 2 – HESPERIS. Leiden, Netherlands. 22nd April 2008.
- West Midlands Surgical society meeting.Shrewsbury. 9th May 2008.
- 16th International Congress European Association Of Endoscopic Surgeons, Stockholm June 2008. International Liver Transplant Society(16thInt Congress), Paris. July 2008
- Associations of UGI Surgeons (GB & I), Liverpool. Sept 2008.
- Royal Free Hampstead 20:20 Meeting, London UK. 2-3 Oct 2008.
- Northwick Park Microsurgical Workshop, London. 30th march to 3rd April2009
- British Transplant Society Annual Meeting, Liverpool. 21st April 2009.
- ATLS (As Faculty), Kings College Hospital, London. May 2009, Nov 2010
- Am Asso of the Study of liver Disease (AASLD), Boston, USA. 30th-3rd Nov 2009.
- IHPBA, Buenos Aires. 19th-22nd April 2010.